Log In
  • AASHE-STARS

The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance.

Overall Rating Silver
Overall Score 56.19
Liaison Ali Dutton
Submission Date May 13, 2016
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.0

Florida International University
OP-8: Building Energy Consumption

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 2.72 / 6.00 Alexandra Dutton
Program Manager
Office of University Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total building energy consumption, all sources (transportation fuels excluded):
Performance Year Baseline Year
Total building energy consumption 426,345.71 MMBtu 329,824.86 MMBtu

Purchased electricity and steam:
Performance Year Baseline Year
Grid-purchased electricity 426,345.71 MMBtu 329,824.86 MMBtu
District steam/hot water 0 MMBtu 0 MMBtu

Gross floor area of building space::
Performance Year Baseline Year
Gross floor area 9,774,810 Gross Square Feet 7,116,065 Gross Square Feet

Floor area of energy intensive space, performance year::
Floor Area
Laboratory space 215,710 Square Feet
Healthcare space 21,154 Square Feet
Other energy intensive space

Degree days, performance year (base 65 °F)::
Degree days (see help icon above)
Heating degree days 147
Cooling degree days 4,718

Source-site ratios::
Source-Site Ratio (see help icon above)
Grid-purchased electricity 3.14
District steam/hot water 1.20

Start and end dates of the performance year and baseline year (or 3-year periods)::
Start Date End Date
Performance Year July 1, 2014 June 30, 2015
Baseline Year July 1, 2006 June 30, 2007

A brief description of when and why the building energy consumption baseline was adopted:

FIU signed the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment in 2007. This marks the first year any organized efforts to advance sustainability on campus began.


A brief description of any building temperature standards employed by the institution:

As part of the Energy Management System (EMS) at FIU, timers are set to regulate temperatures based on occupancy hours. The Energy Management System centrally controls temperatures in all major buildings. Nighttime HVAC setback mode has been extended. Estimated savings between 3%-5% are being achieved by raising the temperature from 75°F to 80°F during night hours.

Central EMS control covers 95% of the buildings and the other 5% are freestanding small facilities with small A/C units.


A brief description of any light emitting diode (LED) lighting employed by the institution:

The FIU Parking & Transportation Department manages six parking garages on the Modesto Maidique Campus. As a pilot project, the Blue Garage which has just over 1,000 parking spaces, was retrofit with LED lighting in 2011. The estimated savings from the project was $32,582 per year. The project was featured in an article in "Parking Today." With the success of Blue Garage, Parking & Transportation recently retrofit the Gold Garage in June 2013, that garage also has 1,002 parking spaces. Combined, over 800 lighting fixtures were retrofit. The Parking & Transportation Office is now looking into doing the perimeter lights around the garages as well.

There is also an installation of LED lighting near the Deuxieme Maison (DM) building on the Modesto Maidique Campus.


A brief description of any occupancy and/or vacancy sensors employed by the institution:

FIU has been making the switch to motion sensor light switches. As buildings are remodeled, they will be added, and all new buildings are installed with them. Currently, the majority of campus has been switched over. Motion sensor light switches will be in all classrooms, conference rooms, and other areas deemed appropriate.


A brief description of any passive solar heating employed by the institution:
---

A brief description of any ground-source heat pumps employed by the institution:
---

A brief description of any cogeneration technologies employed by the institution:
---

A brief description of any building recommissioning or retrofit program employed by the institution:
---

A brief description of any energy metering and management systems employed by the institution:

The Energy Management System (EMS) allows facilities managers to remotely control energy usage and preferences in multiple buildings. Through a computer or mobile device, they can check on the energy usage of the buildings and change temperatures and monitor energy activity. It will also alert managers if there is a HVAC load change or issue. General lighting areas such as hallways in main buildings are also on EMS. The EMS covers 95% of the buildings and the other 5% are freestanding small facilities with small A/C units.


A brief description of the institution's program to replace energy-consuming appliances, equipment and systems with high efficiency alternatives:
---

A brief description of any energy-efficient landscape design initiatives employed by the institution:
---

A brief description of any vending machine sensors, lightless machines, or LED-lit machines employed by the institution:

FIU does not currently have any machine with sensors, but the university has multiple EnergyStar vending machines on campus. We also participate in the Pepsi Dream Machine program hosting five machines on our campuses. The Pepsi Dream Machine is a reverse vending machine that encourages recycling plastic bottles and aluminum cans through incentives.


A brief description of other energy conservation and efficiency initiatives employed by the institution:
---

The website URL where information about the institution’s energy conservation and efficiency initiatives is available:
---

For HDD and CDD, the performance year is Feb. 2015 - January 2016. There is no earlier data than that on degreeday.net.

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.