|Submission Date||July 6, 2011|
Office of Sustainability
Sustainability as an Institutional Priority
To enhance the foundation for a comprehensive approach to sustainability, the University of Calgary has embedded sustainability within institutional governance and planning processes throught the following tools and commitments:
1) The University of Calgary Sustainability Policy, passed April 2009.
2) Sustainability included as one of four 2010-2011 Executive Leadership Team priorities. The Executive Leadership Team is comprised of the President and all Vice Presidents.
3) Sustainability identified as one of 7 core principles in the multi-month institutional strategic planning process involving consultation with the external community and thousands of students, faculty and staff.
4) The Institutional Sustainability Plan, formally adopted in April 2011, is now one of the suite of institutional governance documents shaping academic and business planning at the University of Calgary.
5) Amendment to the annual Comprehensive Business Plan Guideline to require all academic and business units to include a sustainability planning section in their annual plan and referring units to the Institutional Sustainability Plan for guidance of key performance indicators.
By embedding sustainability as a core value within institutional governance and planning processes the University of Calgary is demonstrating best practices in planning & administration and is publicly reinforcing its commitment to sustainability. For this I present this initiative for a STARS Innovation Credit.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.