|Submission Date||Aug. 2, 2011|
University Planning, Design & Construction
Facilities Services is currently updating the Design & Construction Guidelines, which will further advance expectations and requirements for LEED Silver (minimum) New Construction. Please see http://www.facilities.vt.edu/udc/ for more details.
The University has a total of 15 owned LEED registered projects with the US Green Building Council located on the Blacksburg campus. The Henderson Hall Renovation and Theatre 101 Addition project was completed in fall 2009 and received LEED "Gold" certification on February 5, 2010. Three LEED registered projects have been completed and documentation for each has been sent to USGBC for certification determination. These projects include the Addition to the Football Locker Room, the Institute for Critical Technology & Applied Sciences-II, and the Visitors and Undergraduate Admissions Center. Seven LEED registered projects are under construction and four are in the design phase. Specific projects are listed below in gross square feet (GSF).
a. Recently completed & LEED certified (total of 38,750 GSF):
1. Henderson Hall Renovation and Theatre 101 Addition (LEED Gold).
b. Completed: Documentation submitted to USGBC – Pending LEED certification
(total of 102,490 GSF)
1. Addition to the Football Locker Room (42,145 GSF).
2.Institute for Critical Technology & Applied Sciences- II (42,190 GSF).
3. Visitors and Undergraduate Admissions CTR (18,155 GSF).
c. Under construction (total of 588,332 GSF):
1. Renovate Ambler Johnston Residence Hall (272,000 GSF).
2. Academic & Student Affairs Bldg (91,200 GSF).
3. Center for the Arts (120,000 GSF).
4. Infectious Disease Research Facility (15,700 GSF).
5. Technology Research & Innovation Center (60,000 GSF).
6. West End Market Expansion and Renovation (7,432 GSF).
7. Vet Med Instruction Addition (22,000 GSF).
d. Under design (total of 320,650 GSF):
1. Signature Engineering Bldg (160,000 GSF).
2. Human & Ag Biosciences Bldg (92,000 GSF).
3. Renovate Davidson Hall Chemistry Bldg (50,000 GSF).
4. Chiller Plant I (18,650 GSF).
The University owns seven new buildings totaling 769,454 GSF that were completed in the past three years that were designed and constructed in accordance with green building polices or guidelines shown in the Criteria Section of the credit that are not LEED certified. Specific projects are listed below in gross square feet (GSF).
1. Institute for Critical Technology & Applied Sciences- I (99,411 GSF).
2. Life Sciences I (71,799 GSF).
3. New Residence Hall West (92,800 GSF).
4. Basketball Practice Facility (52,944 GSF).
5. McComas Hall Addition (27,000 GSF).
6. Materials Management Facility (7,500 GSF).
7. Parking Structure (418,000 GSF).
To view more information about the current status of campus buildings in the design, construction, or complete stages please see: http://www.pdc.facilities.vt.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
The Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington (not within our STARS submission boundaries) also recently earned the LEED Certified designation. For more information, please see: http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2011/06/062911-ncr-researchcenteropening.html
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.