Before launching the current version of STARS, AASHE released several prior versions as well as earlier drafts for public comment and piloting. Key documents from throughout the STARS development process are posted below.
- Early release STARS 2.1 Technical Manual (Jan. 2016)
- STARS 2.1 Technical Manual - Administrative Update One (May 2016)
- Summary of Changes to the early release manual
- STARS 2.1 Technical Manual - Administrative Update Two (Jan. 2017)
AASHE launched the STARS 2.0 Technical Manual (early release version) in August 2013. AASHE made minor administrative updates that were incorporated into the version of the Technical Manual (Administrative Update One) that accompanied the launch of STARS 2.0 in October 2013.
- STARS 2.0 Technical Manual - Administrative Update One (October 2013 edition)
- STARS 2.0 Credit Checklist
- STARS 2.0 Summary of Changes (details the revisions made between STARS 1.2 and 2.0)
- STARS Public Comment Feedback
- August 27 “Everything You Need to Know About STARS 2.0” webinar
- STARS 2.0 - Administrative Update Two was published in January 2014 and includes minor revisions and modifications.
AASHE released STARS 1.2 in February 2012. Like the changes from STARS 1.0 to STARS 1.1, this version of STARS included minor updates to the system.
- STARS 1.2 Technical Manual
- Record of changes details the changes between STARS 1.1 Administrative Update One and STARS 1.2
AASHE launched STARS 1.1 Administrative Update One in February 2011. This Administrative Update contains basic system maintenance changes to STARS 1.1, such as additional language to clarify credits and correction of typographical errors.
- STARS 1.1 Administrative Update One Technical Manual
- Record of changes details the changes between STARS 1.0 Administrative Update Two and STARS 1.1 Administrative Update One.
- STARS 1.1 Credit Checklist (PDF or .xls)
AASHE incorporated additional support information in the Technical Manual after the early release and launched the completed STARS 1.0 Technical Manual, website, and Reporting Tool in January 2010. AASHE issued an Administrative Update to this version in June 2010 and November 2011.
- STARS 1.0 Technical Manual (January 2010 edition)
- Record of Changes details the changes between the January 2010 and June 2010 edition
- STARS 1.0 Technical Manual (June 2010 edition)
- Record of Changes details the changes between the June 2010 and November 2010 edition.
- STARS 1.0 Credit Checklist (PDF or .xls)
AASHE launched the STARS 1.0 Early Release Technical Manual in September 2009 that included all of the credits but limited supporting information as a sneak peek to those interested in participating. AASHE made minor administrative updates after releasing this document that were incorporated in STARS 1.0 that launched in January 2010.
- STARS 1.0 Early Release Technical Manual
- The STARS Technical Manual Record of Changes details the minor differences between the Early Release edition and the January 2010 updated edition.
Learn how credits were organized and weighed in each of the STARS 1.x versions of the Technical Manual.
STARS International Pilot Project
The STARS International Pilot project took place from October 2011 and December 2013. All institutions of higher education outside of the US and Canada were welcome to register for the current STARS system, completed a STARS Report as a STARS Reporter, and give feedback on how STARS could be shaped to better fit international needs. Learn more about the STARS International Pilot.
STARS Pilot Project
The STARS pilot project took place from February 2008 to January 2009 and involved 66 institutions in the US and Canada. Learn additional details about the STARS Pilot Project including the overall approach, participating institutions, and notes from conference calls.
- STARS Guide to Pilot Phase One (PDF)
- STARS Guide to Pilot Phase Two (PDF)
- Pilot Project Results (PDF)
AASHE released STARS 0.5 in April 2008.
AASHE released STARS 0.4 in September 2007.
- STARS 0.4 (PDF)
- Comments on STARS 0.4 (PDF)
- Responses to STARS 0.4 Survey (PDF)
- Notes from conference calls about STARS 0.4
Predecessors of STARS
- Campus Sustainability Rating System (CSRS) 0.1 (PDF) - released January 2007
- Original Campus Sustainability Rating System Proposal (PDF) - released January 2007
- Sustainability in Higher Education Assessment Framework (SHEAF) - a 2006 project that grew to become STARS
Summary Notes from Conference Workshops
- Smart and Sustainable Campuses Conference (PDF) - April 2007
- Rocky Mountain Sustainability Summit (PDF) - Feb. 2007
Other Historic Documents
- STARS Governance Structure (PDF) - Jan. 2010
- HEASC Call for a Campus Sustainability Rating System (PDF) - Aug. 2006
- Listen to the STARS podcast (18 minutes) -- Feb. 2008