This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 3: Bicycle Friendly University – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
How has this credit changed from STARS 2.1 to 2.2?
This credit was updated to list qualifying bicycle recognition programs based in Canada and the United Kingdom. It has been updated to offer partial or full points, based on rating levels.
My institution has earned Bike-Friendly Silver recognition. Does this qualify?
While Bicycle Friendly certification qualifies, institutions must earn above a Silver certification to earn points for this credit. In order to earn full points, U.S. institutions participating in Bicycle Friendly University must earn a Platinum certification. Partial points are earned for a Gold certification.
- Dalhousie University – Good example of receiving a highest achievable level from an equivalent program (Bicycle Nova Scotia’s Bike Friendly Certification Program).
- Portland State University – Concise response and good reporting example of earning full points through Bike Friendly USA Platinum certification.
- Universite de Montreal – Good example of Mouvement Velosympathique certification with documentation (bike certification of Quebec)
- Virginia Commonwealth University – Concise response and good reporting example of earning partial points through Bike Friendly USA Gold certification.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- Institutions must provide support for each certification with an affirmative response, either through URL or description.