In This Article
This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
For details about this credit, including the criteria, reporting timeframe, applicability, scoring, and more, please review the full credit language.
- University of California, Irvine – Green Labs program is a comprehensive self assessment that includes six steps of certification. Program is supported by a Green Labs Working Group, which consists of employees who are experts in the fields of water, waste, energy, green chemistry, and procurement.
- University of California, Santa Barbara – LabRATS team that carries out an assessment and certification process, and over 55 labs have been assessed so far. Includes an uploaded master scoring sheet.
- Virginia Commonwealth University – Response includes detailed content for each aspect with a yes response; includes an uploaded green lab certification checklist.
- Participation in a green laboratory benchmarking or certification program must have occurred. Simply referencing green laboratory initiatives is not sufficient in the absence of a certification or benchmarking program.
- Intent of this credit is to recognize institutions that participate in a green laboratory benchmarking or certification program that covers at least three of the listed areas. Standard hazardous waste programs are covered under OP 21: Hazardous Waste Management. To pursue this exemplary practice, institutions must support affirmative responses in at least three areas within the list.
- See resources on green labs in the Campus Sustainability Hub.