This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 9: Diversity and Equity Recognition – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
What “equivalent programs approved by AASHE” can be claimed under this credit?
The following regional and US programs have been claimed as equivalent programs:
- Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs recognition, Diversity Issues in Higher Education Magazine
- Diverse: Issues In Higher Education Names Top 100 Minority
- Excelencia in Education
- Achieving the Dream
- First Gen Forward
- NCAA Award for Diversity & Inclusion
- Australian LGBTQ Inclusion Award
- Sea Change Institutional Bronze Award
- American Society of Engineering Education Diversity Recognition Program
- Parité de la Gouvernance
- Prix Égalité Thérèse-Casgrain
- The Princeton Review LGBTQ-Friendly
- American University – Good reporting example of an institution seeking recognition for having an “equivalent program” in place (Gen Forward)
- George Mason University – Good documentation and reporting example for institutions seeking recognition for having a Diversity Index of 0.70 or higher (U.S. News).
- Lehigh University – Good documentation and reporting example for institutions seeking recognition for an INSIGHT Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Good documentation and reporting example for institutions seeking recognition for having a Diversity Index of 0.70 or higher (U.S. News).
- University of Sydney – Good reporting example of an institution seeking recognition through the Athena SWAN charter. Good reporting example for institutions outside of North America.
- University of Toronto Mississauga – Good documentation and example of earning recognition through Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
- University of Waterloo – Concise documentation and good example of earning recognition through Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- To count, the institution has been formally recognized for leadership in diversity, equity, and/or inclusion during the previous three years. Documentation affirming the recognition is required.