This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 10: Energy System Certification – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an energy management system?
An energy management system (EMS) establishes energy policies, objectives, energy targets, and action plans and processes and works to achieve those objectives and targets.
What standards qualify for this credit?
- ISO 50001
- US DOE 50001 Ready Recognition
- AASHE-approved equivalents (email email@example.com to inquire about a specific standard)
- National University of Ireland, Galway – Provides great documentation for ISO 50001 Energy Management System certification, including an uploaded certificate.
- University of Texas at Austin – Provides great documentation for PEER Energy Management System certification, including an uploaded PEER certification case study.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- To count, the institution must have an energy management system (EMS) or electricity delivery system (e.g., microgrid) that is currently certified under ISO 50001, PEER, or an equivalent standard approved by AASHE. Affirmative responses must be supported.