This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 14: Food Bank – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
Does participation by the institution in a Community Food Bank qualify?
If claiming an external food bank, the institution must affirm that: a) it provides ongoing financial or staff support of the external program, and b) the program is helping to alleviate food insecurity, hunger or poverty among the institutions’ students specifically. Support of an external food bank with minimal support to the institution’s students would not qualify.
- Cornell University – In addition to Anabel’s Grocery, a student-run store that provides nutritious and affordable food to students, a new student pantry recently opened as a result of the Pandemic that offers free food to students in need.
- North Seattle College – Detailed response includes information on a campus food pantry partnership with a community member. Information is included on weekly usage and proportion of students served, along with a description of how the program evolved due to COVID.
- University of Colorado Boulder – In addition to maintaining a food pantry to help alleviate student hunger, additional resources for alleviating student food security are referenced (SNAP benefits, food drives, emergency assistance programs, etc.)
- University of Wisconsin-River Falls – Documentation affirms that the intent of the food bank is to help alleviate student food insecurity. Includes a link to the Food Pantry social media page.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- To count, the institution must host a food bank, pantry, or equivalent resource focused on alleviating food insecurity, hunger and poverty among students. The food bank, pantry or equivalent may serve employees or local community members in addition to students. Documentation affirming the program is required.