This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 17: Green Cleaning Certification – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
Our institution purchases a lot of Green Seal products. Does this qualify for points under this credit?
No, purchasing certified products is not sufficient, and this is already recognized under the Cleaning & Janitorial Purchasing credit. In order to count for this credit, the institution’s cleaning program/service itself must be certified.
Resources, Templates & Tools
- List of Certified Providers – Green Seal’s Environmental Standard for Commercial Cleaning Services (GS-42).
- List of Certified Organizations – International Sanitary Supply Association’s (ISSA) Cleaning Industry Management Standard for Green Buildings (CIMS-GB)
- Carnegie Mellon University – Good documentation on an Aramark green cleaning program that is certified under ISSA CIMS-Green Building. A copy of the certificate is uploaded.
- Georgia Institute of Technology – Good documentation provided on a green cleaning program that is independently certified under both Green Seal Standard GS-42 and ISSA CIMS-Green Building.
- University of Virginia – Good documentation (through institutional website) that institution’s cleaning contractor is Green Seal certified.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- Formal certification of the cleaning program must have taken place. Adhering to green cleaning standards or purchase or use of certified green cleaning products is not sufficient. The institution OR its primary cleaning services contractor must be certified.