This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 19: Green Laboratory Program – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a formal green laboratory certification program have to be in place, or can we count practices related to green laboratories?
Green laboratory certification is not a requirement to earn full or partial points under this credit. To learn more about green laboratory certifications, see reporting examples below for Oregon State and UC Irvine.
Resources, Templates & Tools
- Cascadia College – Good example of an institution’s participation in a flagship green labs program (through the University of Washington system).
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Comprehensive program and website. The program provides resources and best practices, trainings, and certification of individual labs.
- Oregon State University – Informative website which lists labs rated Platinum, Gold, Silver and Copper. Program also covers transportation.
- University of California, Irvine – A comprehensive green lab program done in collaboration with My Green Lab, that includes certification of labs. Each area with a Yes response is affirmed.
- University of California, Santa Barbara – Comprehensive program and website. LabRATS team carries out an assessment and certification process.
- University of Pennsylvania – Comprehensive responses for each area with a Yes response. Includes a detailed Green Labs Guide as supplemental documentation.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- Participation in a green laboratory program must have occurred, and a valid website URL for the program is required. Simply referencing green laboratory initiatives is not sufficient in the absence of a formal program. Descriptive response should support each affirmative response indicated at the top of the credit.