OP 1: Emissions Inventory & Disclosure – version 2.2
Data Accuracy Video
Frequently Asked Questions
How has this credit changed from STARS 2.1 to 2.2?
Substantive changes have been made to this credit. The revamped credit now includes an institution’s greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions inventories. A comprehensive list of differences can be found in the 2.2 Summary of changes.
What information is required in the GHG inventory?
Uploaded inventory should provide clear indication of Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. If indicating that certain Scope 3 emissions are included, then the inventory must reflect this. Otherwise, Scope 3 responses should be updated to “None” as appropriate.
Resources, Templates & Tools
Greenhouse gas emissions
- The Climate Registry
- Sustainability Indicator Management and Analysis Platform (SIMAP) – An online tool for measuring, calculating and reporting carbon and nitrogen footprints.
- Scope 3 Evaluator – A tool to quickly calculate a comprehensive first screening of an institution’s Scope 3 GHG emissions
- Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Standard – World Resources Institute (WRI)
- Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Accounting and Reporting Standard – WRI
Air pollutant emissions
- Emissions Factors & AP 42, Compilation of Air Pollutant Emission Factors – U.S. EPA
- Emission inventory tools – U.S. EPA
- Dalhousie University – The Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions inventory references a customized emissions report. Good documentation for external verification by a third party is provided.
- University of Cincinnati – Well-organized and comprehensive inventory including documentation of an up-to-date third-party verification of the inventory.
- University of Saint Thomas – A comprehensive Air Pollution Inventory is uploaded, along with a simple one-page Scope 1, 2 and 3 inventory.
- University of Southern California – Inventory includes a customized version of the Campus Carbon Calculator™ with updated emissions factors from SIMAP. Good documentation for external verification is provided.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- Part 1: Uploaded inventory should provide clear indication of Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. If indicating that certain Scope 3 emissions are included, then the inventory must reflect this. Otherwise, Scope 3 responses should be updated to “None” as appropriate.
- If indicating that the inventory has been verified by an independent, external third party or validated internally by independent personnel, descriptive response and/or upload must support verification of the inventory by an external party.