OP 13: Cleaning & Janitorial Purchasing – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
How has this credit changed between STARS 2.1 to 2.2?
Substantive changes have been made to this credit. Additional ecolabels are now recognized, and there is added guidance under Measurement. A definition of ISO Type 1 ecolabel has been added. A comprehensive list of differences can be found in the 2.2 Summary of changes.
Which certifications earn points for this credit?
The products counted must be Green Seal or UL ECOLOGO certified and/or Safer Choice labeled (or local equivalents for institutions outside the U.S. and Canada).
- Find Green Seal products
- Find UL ECOLOGO products
- Find Safer Choice label products
- FSC International
- Central Community College – Uploaded inventory includes a comprehensive purchasing report that includes a “Green Attributes” column, includes both green and standard purchases.
- Eastern Connecticut State University – Comprehensive documentation on cleaning purchases. Includes an uploaded cleaning and janitorial purchasing policy that lists approved green products.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst – Clearly states the timeframe the data is based on and provides sufficient documentation of the institution’s Green Cleaning policy.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- Score outlier: Earning full points or close to it indicates that a very high rate of electronic purchases are EPEAT Gold. High scores and exemplary performance should be affirmed in descriptive text.
- Timeframe: Response under “A brief description of the time period” should confirm that the information provided is based on data from within the last three years.