STARS 3.0 is the second major revision of the program, the vision for which was established by the STARS Steering Committee (SC) in 2019. The new version is the product of four years of development and has been shaped by the insights of program participants, AASHE Advisory Council members, SC members, and countless other individuals and institutions that provided resources, suggestions, encouragement, and ideas. In accordance with the STARS Technical Development Policy, provisional drafts of the new version were published for public comment in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Those public comment periods have concluded, however the feedback provided is still available for review.
Features to look for in the new version of STARS include:
- Redesigned credits and easier-to-follow scoring formulas
- Simplified course and research inventories
- Streamlined, performance-based credits
- More robust indicators of racial equity and social justice
By redesigning credits with accessibility in mind, continuing to prioritize performance over process, and simplifying measurement where feasible, we were able to expand the scope of STARS and still achieve a 40 percent reduction in the number of documentation fields.
Timeline and Transition
Although the new version will not be officially launched in the Reporting Tool until the second quarter of 2024, we are making materials available now to help institutions prepare and plan their next submissions. Once v3.0 has been launched, current participants will be able to continue working in v2.2 if that is preferable or else upgrade and begin working under the new version right away. More information about the transition to STARS 3.0 is available in the STARS Help Center.
Please note that changes may be made to this content prior to the formal launch of the new version in Q2 2024.
- STARS 3.0 Technical Manual (Advance Copy) PDF
- STARS 3.0 Credit Checklist (Google Sheet)
- Summary of Changes (Google Doc)
- Innovation & Leadership Credit Catalog (under development)
- Tracking worksheet (under development)
Templates and Tools
These resources are Google Sheets that must be downloaded or copied into Google Drive before editing.
- Energy calculator (Google Sheet)
- Qualifying food and beverage certifications (Google Sheet)
- Food and beverage purchasing inventory (Google Sheet)
- Racial and ethnic diversity worksheet (Google Sheet)