This is an optional Innovation & Leadership credit. These credits recognize exemplary practices and performance above and beyond what is recognized in standard credits and may not be relevant to every institution. Scoring in the Innovation and Leadership section is capped at 4 bonus points total.
IN 1: Academy-Industry Connections – version 2.2
Frequently Asked Questions
How has this credit changed from STARS 2.1 to 2.2?
This credit was updated to allow institutions to earn partial points if some, but not all of the four criteria are in place.
Can we earn points if our policies cover some, but not all of the bulleted items in the credit criteria.
Partial points are available. An institution that meets at least two of the criteria below earns 0.25 points:
- Require that all significant consulting contracts (e.g., those worth $5,000 or more a year) be reported to a standing committee charged with reviewing and managing individual and institutional conflicts of interest;
- Prohibit faculty, students, postdoctoral fellows, medical residents, and other academic professionals from engaging in industry-led “ghostwriting” or “ghost authorship;”
- Prohibit participation in sponsored research that restricts investigator access to the complete study data or that limits investigators’ ability to verify the accuracy and validity of final reported results; and
- Ban confidential corporate research (i.e., research that cannot be published).
Resources, Templates & Tools
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Comprehensive responses in each of the four areas.
- Princeton University – Comprehensive responses provided for each area with a Yes response. Links to policies included in the Notes field.
- University of California, Santa Barbara – Outlines each of the four criteria specifically. Based on UC System standards. Good reporting example for other UC institutions.
- University of Southern California – Comprehensive responses for each area with a Yes response. Good example of partial points earned.
Common Issues Identified During Review
- Affirmative responses must be supported by information provided in descriptive fields.