Log In
  • AASHE-STARS

The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance.

Overall Rating Silver
Overall Score 51.12
Liaison Matthew Williams
Submission Date June 30, 2017
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.0

University of Florida
OP-10: Landscape Management

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 0.00 / 2.00 Liz Storn
Program Coordinator
Office of Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Figures required to calculate the total area of managed grounds::
Area
Total campus area 1,955 Acres
Footprint of the institution's buildings 465 Acres
Area of undeveloped land, excluding any protected areas 781 Acres

Area of managed grounds that is::
Area
Managed in accordance with an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Plan 0 Acres
Managed in accordance with a sustainable landscape management program that includes an IPM plan and otherwise meets the criteria outlined 0 Acres
Managed organically, third party certified and/or protected 0 Acres

A copy of the IPM plan:
---

The IPM plan :
---

A brief summary of the institution’s approach to sustainable landscape management:
---

A brief description of how the institution protects and uses existing vegetation, uses native and ecologically appropriate plants, and controls and manages invasive species:

The university works to use native plants wherever possible.


A brief description of the institution’s landscape materials management and waste minimization policies and practices:
---

A brief description of the institution’s organic soils management practices:
---

A brief description of the institution’s use of environmentally preferable materials in landscaping and grounds management:
---

A brief description of how the institution restores and/or maintains the integrity of the natural hydrology of the campus:

The University of Florida currently irrigates approximately 90% of the irrigated areas on campus using reclaimed water (a high quality non-potable water supply that is not meant for potable [drinking] purposes) from the Water Reclamation Facility located on North/South Drive. The remaining 10% is supplied from wells on campus or from domestic (drinking) water.


A brief description of how the institution reduces the environmental impacts of snow and ice removal (if applicable):

NA


A brief description of any certified and/or protected areas:

31 conservation areas totally 447 acres are protected on campus along with 22 acres of buffer. Included is 60 acres dedicated to teaching students and the public about ecology and biodiversity. Conservation areas include a wide variety of different habitats found in Florida.


Is the institution recognized by the Arbor Day Foundation's Tree Campus USA program (if applicable)?:
Yes

The website URL where information about the institution’s sustainable landscape management programs and practices is available:
---

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.