Please note that this is not an official release. We are making this advance copy available in response to participant requests to have access to the new version for planning purposes. Although we are not currently planning to make any further changes, there is still a chance that we will make additional changes prior to the official release in March or April. An updated catalog of Innovation & Leadership credits will also be released at the same time.
If you are currently working on a report, no worries. You will have a full year from the official release date to either submit under STARS 2.1 or upgrade to the latest version.
Highlights of the new version include:
- UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) integrated and mapped to STARS subcategories and credits.
- Additional internationally-recognized standards and terminology recognized.
- New Reporting Assurance credit added that awards points for engaging in a data quality and assurance process before submitting a report.
- New Points of Distinction section added to allow participants to highlight the initiatives they are most proud of.
- Reporting simplified for Outreach Materials and Publications, Outreach Campaign, Support for Sustainable Transportation, Sustainability Planning, Inclusive and Participatory Governance (which now addresses gender equity), and Affordability and Access.
- A more straightforward approach to Learning Outcomes adopted.
- Open Access to Research credit revamped to include additional opportunities to earn partial points.
- Community Service programs for employees recognized.
- Opportunity added to earn partial points for Trademark Licensing.
- Gross GHG and air pollutant emissions reported in a single Emissions Inventory and Disclosure credit.
- More straightforward criteria for Buildings adopted.
- Food and Beverage Purchasing revised to be less time-intensive.
- Sustainable Investment weighted more heavily for institutions with very large endowments.
- Smoke-free environments recognized in Wellness Programs.
- Workplace Health and Safety revamped.
- Innovation and exemplary practice credits grouped together and weighted equally.
If you have any questions about STARS 2.2, please email email@example.com.