|Submission Date||Feb. 13, 2016|
|2.00 / 2.00||
Assistant to the Provost for Sustainability Initiatives
Office of the Provost
New student orientation is an extended, multi-phase process at UofL. Beginning in 2010, the Sustainability Council has worked closely each year with Admissions and the Office of First-Year Initiatives to integrate sustainability into the orientation process with the following elements:
Sustainability in Summer Orientation (two-day, mandatory sessions offered multiple times throughout the summer):
• In-person training is provided by UofL’s sustainability coordinator for all Student Orientation Staff (SOSers) on the principles of sustainability, UofL’s commitment to sustainability, and ways students can contribute and engage.
• Orientation staff receive a one-page hand-out covering 10 key points about UofL sustainability, and a list of campus groups involved, as well as details about our new alternative transportation programs.
• Themes of campus sustainability are integrated into evening “Real World” skits.
• Water filling stations are made available instead of bottled water.
• Two Sustainability Council ads are printed in the Summer Orientation Guide magazine that all participants receive. One includes the Cards Go Green! pledge and the other features the top five reasons you won't need to bring a car to campus.
• Campus sustainability clue(s) are included in the mandatory “Cardinal Challenge” text message scavenger hunt.
• Green campus post(s) are included in Admissions blog at http://uoflblog.com/uncategorized/uofls-green-committment/
• Sustainability slides are included in the slideshow loops on monitors in SAC, Strickler, etc. and in the pre-show slideshow during gathering.
• Bike maps and information on transportation alternatives are included in orientation packets for international students.
• A reusable shoulder bag made with recycled material content is provided to all families and they are encouraged to bring reusable water bottles.
• Attention is given to adequate provision and placement of recycling and composting bins and student volunteers staff waste stations at meal times to help orient new students to the single-stream recycling and composting systems on campus.
• All new students must spend a night in Unitas Hall, featuring our Building Dashboard system that provides real-time feedback about energy use in the dorm.
• Sustainability-related student groups such as the student environmental group, GRASS, and the EcoReps Program recruit members at the Cards Expo during lunches.
• UofL Sustainability Council representatives are present for all Family Orientation Receptions to inform about more sustainable choices and transportation alternatives.
• In partnership with the University Admissions office and Louisville Farm to Table, UofL Dining Service has included local ingredients in the 8000 meals served to parents and new students during Orientation. Commensurate marketing materials accompany this meal service, including menu identification of local foods and a leaflet stating “U of L Likes Local” with five reasons why the university supports the use of local food and a list of campus sustainability efforts.
• The UofL Sustainability banner & Tree Campus USA flag is hung in the Student Activities Center.
Sustainability in Welcome Week:
• UofL Sustainability literature, brochures, and maps available for pick-up at the Welcome & Info Lounge
• Morning Walk: Discover Old Louisville! Highlighting local businesses and healthy local food options!
• Car-Free Lunch Trip to Gray St. Farmers' Market
• Belknap Farmers' Market
• Louisville Sustainability Bike Tour
• Health Promotion’s Cardinal Quest Treasure Hunt features UofL Sustainability initiatives!
• UofL's Sustainability Council hosts on-campus Student Outreach Uniting Louisville (SOUL) volunteer project sites focused on sustainable urban agriculture.
• UofL Community Composting Volunteer Day
• Garden Commons Workday & Salsa-Making Workshop
• Pedal with the President!
Sustainability in New Graduate Student Orientation:
• The Sustainability Council includes a flyer in all new grad student packets and staffs a table during the resource fairs promoting EcoReps, transportation alternatives, and Cards Go Green Pledge.
• UofL Sustainability slides are included in preview slideshow.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.