We’re excited to announce the release of STARS 2.2, the latest version of the rating system.
This new version features:
- A new “Points of Distinction” section to allow participants to highlight their most notable sustainability programs, initiatives or accomplishments.
- Simplified criteria for some credits that have proven to be particularly time-intensive (e.g., the Food and Beverage Purchasing and Sustainability Planning credits).
- More flexibility and additional opportunities to earn partial points (e.g., in the Learning Outcomes and Open Access to Research credits).
- Additional internationally recognized standards and terminology incorporated throughout.
- Changes intended to minimize clerical and conversion errors (e.g., reporting electricity use in kilowatt-hours).
- A new Reporting Assurance credit that awards points for engaging in an independent review and revision process before submitting your report.
- New options to earn bonus points in the Innovation & Leadership section.
- Information in the STARS Technical Manual mapping STARS subcategories to the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
We welcome current participants to upgrade to this new version right away, but you have the option to report under the older version until August 31, 2020. Review these instructions for upgrading your report, as well as the important notes about what it means to upgrade, and only do so when you are ready.
The final STARS 2.2 publications are now available online:
- Summary of Changes
- Technical Manual
- Innovation & Leadership Catalog
- Credit Checklist: download Excel file or copy Google Sheet
If you have any questions about the new version or the upgrade process, please reach out to us at email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.