STARS 2.2 was officially released in August 2019 and is the latest version. This new version features:
- A new “Points of Distinction” section to allow participants to highlight their most notable sustainability programs, initiatives or accomplishments.
- Simplified criteria for some credits that have proven to be particularly time-intensive (e.g., the Food and Beverage Purchasing and Sustainability Planning credits).
- More flexibility and additional opportunities to earn partial points (e.g., in the Learning Outcomes and Open Access to Research credits).
- Additional internationally recognized standards and terminology incorporated throughout.
- Changes intended to minimize clerical and conversion errors (e.g., reporting electricity use in kilowatt-hours).
- A new Reporting Assurance credit that awards points for engaging in an independent review and revision process before submitting your report.
- New options to earn bonus points in the Innovation & Leadership section.
- Information in the STARS Technical Manual mapping STARS subcategories to the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This STARS 2.2 Summary of Changes outlines the changes from the STARS 2.1.3 Technical Manual to the STARS 2.2 Technical Manual. Each credit or section is labeled to indicate the extent of revisions (“no changes”, “minor edits”, “substantive changes”, or “new”).
Check out our new video that walks you through the 2.1 to 2.2 changes!