|Submission Date||Oct. 10, 2014|
Director of Operations, Ancillary Services
Facilites & Operations
The University of Alberta was the first Canadian post-secondary institution to partner with Hertz 24/7, an international car-share vendor. In 2009, UAlberta signed a multi-year agreement with Hertz 24/7 to provide a car-sharing service for all members of the North Campus community. The agreement became active in January 2010.
The goal of this car sharing program is to reduce the amount of single-occupant vehicle traffic to and from North Campus, and to support a practical shift towards sustainable mobility and away from automobile dependency. As of July 2014, there were three Hertz vehicles on North Campus, and 1,304 members enrolled in the program.
The Hertz 24/7 program is hosted by the University of Alberta, but all member transactions (online bookings and payment) occur directly through Hertz, and feature the following:
- Members register online through www.hertzondemand.com to receive a membership card
- Members require a credit card to register
- Members can book vehicles for an hour, a day or up to a week, and have 24-hour vehicle access
- The highly-competitive hourly rental fee includes insurance and fuel
- Vehicles are stationed at central and convenient North Campus locations
- Once booked, access to the vehicle is obtained via a card reader using the member’s membership card
- Upon return, the member parks the car back in the designated parking space
- Once the vehicle is returned, Hertz sends a summary of the reservation and bills the member’s credit card