|Submission Date||Oct. 10, 2014|
|2.00 / 2.00||
Manager, Energy Management & Sustainable Operations
Facilities & Operations
As outlined in the University of Alberta Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Plan our institution will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 17 per cent by 2020 from 2005 baseline emissions levels. To achieve this, we will:
- Implement its 7-year energy management program, Envision.
- Install a new 25 MW natural gas-fired turbine generator at the UAlberta Heating Plant.
As outlined in the University of Alberta Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Plan our institution will use the following interim strategies to reach the 2020 target include:
- Capture 75% of organic waste on North Campus and divert it away from landfill to an off-site anaerobic digestion facility at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre
- Complete the final year of the current energy management program
- Complete a suite of renewable and alternative energy projects
- Purchase a portion of electricity requirements that are not already supplied by the Heating Plant from renewable energy providers
The University of Alberta Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Plan is primarily targeted at North Campus, which produces 94 per cent of the university's GHG emissions.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.